My name is Nick Johnson, I am a Southwark Liberal Democrat Councillor and I live in Herne Hill.
I believe that voters in Dulwich & West Norwood are naturally liberal-minded. We need to help them realise this!
Helen Hayes, our local MP, has been largely silent on the major issues that affect us:
- She is a remainer, but one who says little about BREXIT, perhaps in the hope of retaining Corbyn’s favour
- She is silent on the expansion of Heathrow and the huge growth in noise and air pollution above our heads every day
- On our broken political system, in desperate need of electoral reform, she says nothing
Beyond BREXIT, I believe that we need to inspire voters around the issues they care about.
If I am elected as PPC, I would like to campaign around three core areas:
- Taking climate change and pollution seriously: we need major investment in renewables and public transport (a ‘Green New Deal’)
- Addressing the lack of political engagement: ‘First past the post’ doesn’t work any more and we desperately need Proportional Representation
- Looking at the root cause of crime, particularly knife crime: this isn’t just about having more police, it is about investing in youth services and schools
I look forward to meeting some of you at the Hustings. If you can’t make it, I urge you to consider getting a postal vote and, in the meantime, do follow me on twitter - @volantenick
A local choice
- I have lived in the Constituency since the late ‘90s - in East Dulwich, Herne Hill and North Dulwich and my three children all went to school in the area, so I know and love it well!
With a record of campaigning & winning elections
- I am a local Liberal Democrat Councillor in Southwark and have campaigned in General Elections, By-Elections, Local Elections and organised #People’s Vote campaigning in the Constituency. I also work closely with the Greater London Assembly and TfL on key issues around public transport, urban redevelopment and affordable housing
And a vision for winning Dulwich & West Norwood
- Our Constituency is naturally liberal-minded - pro-EU, concerned by climate change and worried about lack of affordable housing. But many voters are unclear what we, as Liberal Democrats, stand for. This is our challenge and our opportunity – to clearly convey our values to voters. We need a ‘Hearts and Minds’ strategy - actively engaging with voters about the issues they care about and the values we believe in.
If elected as PPC, I would campaign around three core areas:
- A ‘Green New Deal’ - taking climate change and pollution seriously
- We need major investment in renewables and public transport
- Addressing lack of political engagement
- ‘First past the post’ doesn’t work; we desperately need Proportional Representation
- Looking at the root cause of crime, particularly knife crime
- We can’t arrest our way out of this, investment in youth services and schools is sorely needed