My name is Nick Johnson, I am a Southwark Liberal Democrat Councillor and I live in Herne Hill.
I believe that voters in Dulwich & West Norwood are naturally liberal-minded. We need to help them realise this!
Helen Hayes, our local MP, has been largely silent on the major issues that affect us:
- She is a remainer, but one who says little about BREXIT, perhaps in the hope of retaining Corbyn’s favour
- She is silent on the expansion of Heathrow and the huge growth in noise and air pollution above our heads every day
- On our broken political system, in desperate need of electoral reform, she says nothing
Beyond BREXIT, I believe that we need to inspire voters around the issues they care about.
If I am elected as PPC, I would like to campaign around three core areas:
- Taking climate change and pollution seriously: we need major investment in renewables and public transport (a ‘Green New Deal’)
- Addressing the lack of political engagement: ‘First past the post’ doesn’t work any more and we desperately need Proportional Representation
- Looking at the root cause of crime, particularly knife crime: this isn’t just about having more police, it is about investing in youth services and schools
I look forward to meeting some of you at the Hustings. If you can’t make it, I urge you to consider getting a postal vote and, in the meantime, do follow me on twitter - @volantenick