Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre - A redevelopment which currently has no assigned social housing nor takes into account current traders.
A new scheme to replace the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre with modern facilities and nearly 1000 new homes is neither considering the 110 current traders nor meeting the Council's minimum target of 35% council and social housing.
- Delancey submitted one of the largest planning applications in Southwark ever
- Close to 1000 new homes; a ‘significantly improved’ shopping centre; and new campus for LCC
- The application is unlikely to be considered by the Planning Committee until September at the earliest
- Impact on 110 current traders. Independent equalities analysis led Council to commit to relocation strategy
- SLC and Elephant Amenity Network say Business Relocation Strategy weak
- No socially rented homes
- Height of new buildings an issue
- Potential loss of leisure facilities
- Viability assessment not public
Oct 2017: Demolition of Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre and bingo hall would impact BME elderly ladies and break up community
March 2017: Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre plans ‘pose significant risks’
Feb 2017: Last chance to comment on E&C shopping centre plans